How Professional Organizations can Boost Your Business
Generally when we hear about joining a professional organization, we brush it off as nothing more than potential padding to flesh out a resume. Beyond that, it can sometimes feel like a hassle to add yet another commitment into our already busy and overcrowded schedules.
However, joining a professional organization can be very beneficial to your professional development. Here are five ways how joining a professional organization can help to boost your business:
1. Network, network, network. In any profession, doubly so for real estate, so much of your business comes down to who you know. Making connections is critical to build your own personal network. Relationships begun in a professional organization will lead enhanced support on a local level. More than that, you can become an asset to others in your own community, providing referrals as well as receiving them.
2. Exclusive Online Resources. Most professional organizations will have a website, including a section for “members only.” This will often provide access to message boards, databases, listserv subscriptions to notify you via emails about upcoming events, and more, that are not available to a general audience. You can get a jump on competition by staying ahead of the curve utilizing such resources.
3. Community Impact. Most organizations coordinate initiatives in their local communities. These can come in many forms—food drives, beach clean-ups, etc. Socially conscious professionals are viewed as active within their communities, which leads to clients viewing them favorably. Before joining an organization, ask how they are involved in giving back to the community.
4. Seminars and Conferences. Along with engaging you in your local community, joining a professional organization can help you to discover your field in a larger context. Often, professional organizations can help fund trips and fees associated with attending seminars or conferences. They may even host a seminar or conference themselves. By attending such events, you will be able to see how a wider sampling of people in your field tackle problems you yourself may be facing.
5. Stay Inspired. In today’s fast-paced world, nothing stays static for very long. By joining a professional organization, you can stay readily informed of advancements in your field and new approaches to business. You can challenge other members of the organization while discovering new ideas to mix it up in your own practices. You may find a mentor—or even become a mentor to someone else—and sharpen your skills. You have experiences and knowledge to share, and so do all the other members of the organization, and everyone will be able to learn and grow together.
Joining a professional organization may feel like a daunting task. However, the benefits far outweigh any drawbacks you may anticipate. Begin your search today and find the organization that will best benefit you and your goals in boosting your business.
RETI Contributor – Brandon Doyle